The mission of Dementia Friendly San Antonio is to build an inclusive community where everyone touched by dementia is respected, engaged, and supported. We will achieve this by creating sustainable partnerships to facilitate change across our community.
Dementia Friendly San Antonio (DFSA) is a community-wide grassroots initiative lead by an advisory board of community members in collaboration with the Caring for the Caregiver program, UT Health San Antonio, who have come together to address the pressing need for an inclusive community that supports families touched by dementia. In the state of Texas there are over 390,000 Texans aged 65 years and older living with Alzheimer’s or other dementias. With this number anticipated to increase 28.9% by 2025 we recognize the need for a community that is more inclusive, respectful, and safe where everyone feels included, engaged and supported.
Learn more about Dementia Friendly America
Who is involved?
Dementia-friendly communities include:
- Local governments who plan and implement housing, transportation, public spaces, and emergency response that enable people with dementia and care partners to thrive
- Neighborhoods and community members that learn to interact sensitively and create networks of support
- Faith communities that are welcoming and have specialized programs, services or accommodations
- Businesses and banking support for customers with dementia by accommodating cognitive impairment
- Restaurants, grocery stores, and libraries that offer services and supports that foster access and independence
- Community members learning to interact sensitively and create networks of support
- Law enforcement and first responders that recognize signs of dementia and respond accordingly
Dementia Friendly San Antonio COVID-19 Outreach Resource
Recently a special DFSA Action Committee created a resource designed to help caregivers and persons living with dementia understand what community resources are available in the community. Use the following links to access these resources in English and Spanish.
Community Information Survey
Please take a moment to fill out this anonymous brief survey. It will help us understand what is needed in the community.
Click to take the survey in English.
Encuesta de información comunitaria
Favor de llenar esta breve encuesta anónima. Nos ayudará a entender que necesita la comunidad. ¡Muchas gracias!