As a family caregiver, you may need to provide assistance with daily living activities for your loved one. This means you might find yourself having to learn new skills, strategies, and approaches to care while always remembering to practice self-care and tending to your own personal needs. Our directory provides local and web resources for you and your family to find the needed care and information.
While there are many valuable resources available in the South Texas area, those listed on our website have been vetted to meet the following criteria:
- The resource should be a government or nonprofit agency providing community service programming not only to their own members but the community at large
- Any for-profit businesses or individuals in private practices that offer free or reduced cost services to the community will be considered as a resource only on a case-by-case basis
- The resource should not constitute an industry trade group, business association, or trade association
- The resource should include programs and services primarily targeted to family caregivers, persons with dementia, or senior health and well-being over a wide geographic area
- The resource’s primary mission should include direct services to the community and must not exclusively engage in advocacy and public information campaigns
- The resource must not limit availability of services or exclude participation to individuals in the community on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, sex, or age
- The resource’s stated viewpoints on relevant issues are commensurate with generally accepted views held by experts and professionals in dementia caregiving
- Inclusion of an agency or organization does not imply endorsement by Caring for the Caregiver or any of its affiliated organizations. Resources are not evaluated on the quality of services provided; however, a significant number of similar and serious complaints can result in exclusion from the resource list
For a complete list of resources, please visit the Alzheimer’s Association Community Resource Finder.